The Darwin Lions Beer Can Regatta is an annual event not to be missed!
This iconic annual family fun event of Darwin was established in 1974 and is an event for all to use your imagination to design a vessel from cans as well as plastic bottle or milk carton as long as it floats;
- Yes – Darwin Lions Beer Can Regatta will be held on Sunday, 2ndAugust, in a different format and change of venue for this year’s event.
- BCR will be rebadged this year as the “2020 Darwin Lions Mini Regatta”.
- Due to current licensing and crowd control restrictions, the venue has changed from Mindil Beach to “The Darwin Waterfront”.
- The emphasis will be on kid’s activities and participation with a chance for the adults to also be involved and show off their creations on the day.
- There will be restrictions as to the size of can boats, with a maximum crew of four in the water events on the outer lagoon.
- A Junior Boat Building Competition will be held in the Smith Street Mall as part of “Activate Darwin” in the last week of the school holidays, with water testing and judging on Regatta Day, Sunday, 2nd August at the Waterfront Lagoon.
- COVID-19 restrictions for an event exceeding 500 are pending and the Association is working through the requirements with Major Events and Health Dept to ensure we are able to meet any requirements that may be in place at the end of July.
There is plenty of activities for the kids and a fun day out.
The day includes sandcastle competitions, running races, thong throwing competitions & team events.
Make sure you have a look at our photo galleries to see the previous year’s fun!